1. Light Linens for Summer Summer is just around the bend, so even on a shoestring budget, now’s the time to make your home ready for the season. For instantaneous summer style, follow these simple, affordable ideas to lighten the look of your home. Those velvet pillows and cozy down comforters you love all winter long can start to feel unbearably heavy and hot once summer arrives. Summer is all about fresh and easy. So send your dark, heavy linens on vacation and break out lighter, brighter ones. Summer cries out for chiffon, satin, and sheer and lightweight fabrics and bedding. You can find them inexpensively at your local fabric or thrift shop.
2. Nature Calls Say it with flowers! They are a quick and perfect solution for brightening a drab, colorless room. Calm and soothing, these natural outdoor beauties do wonders indoors. Be your own floral arranger after you pick up an inexpensive bouquet at the grocery store. For a really eye-catching arrangement for your kitchen tabletop, trying places freshly picked purple lilacs in a sparkling glass vase. Your senses will celebrate.
3. Roll Winter Away Traditional carpets are heavy. They can weigh a room down. Summer’s here, so roll them up. Brightly colored area rugs with polka dots and stripes are a fun replacement for those carpets. Bare all for summer. If you have polished wood floors under those rugs, let them shine. Your space will be clean, airy, and seem brand new.
4. Pick Your Summer Palette Splash summer’s color palette on your walls. If your walls have always been dark, maybe it’s time for a change. When you’re picking your perfect shade of paint, just think cottage décor and cool tones. Getting the effect you desire doesn’t mean having to paint the entire room. Let the sunshine in by painting one main wall is a cool sky blue. It will make your work even faster and less expensive.
5. A Brand New Fit You always shop for fun flirty summer clothes. Now’s the time to shop for fun, flirty furniture. Your bland sofa and your boring chairs become stylish showpieces with new slipcovers you either buy or make yourself. Found at large department stores, online home stores, and even discounted on eBay, slipcovers cost a lot less than buying brand new furniture. Say “Hello summer” to everyone lounging in your living room by greeting them with the perfect summer print. A light-colored damask or cotton twill fabric is just right.
6. Decorate and Accentuate For a more lighthearted look, accentuate some special summer accessories. Accentuate your colorful gardening books or your family’s past summer vacation photos on a table. They decorate your living room without costing you a thing. Your seashells from the beach embody the summer spirit. So does the sunlight on a windowsill when it strikes a bowl of luminous glass stones.
7. Windows to the World How do you feel about a room with a view? By rearranging furniture to center it around windows and terrace doors, you can take advantage of your outside view. Your favorite reading chair and your kitchen table? Drag them away from those boring walls and place them next to an open window to shed a whole new light on things. All it takes to transform your home for summer is a little imagination and a strong set of arms.
8. Display Summer Summer is the perfect time for refreshment. Start with your walls by updating your artwork. A light or even white wood is the perfect replacement for dark picture frames. Are your hallways in need of brightening and color? Update your artwork there too. If your snowy mountain print is currently hanging, how’s about replacing it with a field of red flowers? The perfect summer backdrop is easy to achieve with a few strategically placed pieces of art in just the right frames.